Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Different than Expected

Almost five years ago now, when I was growing little Maggie in my tummy, I prayed a strange prayer. I remember telling God that if he wanted to give us a child that had Down syndrome it would be okay with me. Secretly I even hoped he would.

Isn't that strange? To ask for a child with a disability. I reasoned in my prayer that I wouldn't mind at all if my child had Down syndrome, while another parent might find it a burden, "so God why not give them to me", I concluded. You see I had known for a while that children with Down syndrome are a treasure. Whenever I would see one I melted and would stare longingly. I still do.

But God had other plans. We celebrated the birth of a perfectly healthy, wonderfully precious baby girl. I was content, our family complete. I put the notion of having a child with Down syndrome out of my head. For a time.

I don't know if I've ever told anyone of that conversation with God, of that secret desire. It sounded a little strange, even to me, and I'm thoroughly aware of my oddness. The thing is I don't think that longing came from any other heart than God's.

I don't have a child with Down syndrome, and I may never, although it is an ongoing petition. But perhaps God answered that prayer anyway. His solution? If I couldn't have my own then I would make the unwanted ones of the world mine; through prayer, by serving those I can, and one day perhaps through adoption .

It is different than I expected, but I purpose to take joy in all of the precious children and adults around the world who have added a different shade of beauty to our lives. In just a few short weeks my arms will get their fill of little ones with Down syndrome, autism, cerebral palsy, etc. Little bodies needing hugs as much as my arms need to give them!

What in your life has been different than expected?

{I'm linking up with Ellen Stumbo for her Writing Prompt on Mondays.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!