Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Love, a chance to die

What is love? It's a chance to die. Anyone who says otherwise has slapped a sentimental emotion on top of love for self. Jesus leads the charge, sets the example, our older brother in love and death. Love isn't love unless it is consummated on the altar of sacrifice. 

Of course I didn't know this at twenty two, fourteen years ago. I was in love with the idea of love. Love was forged on the anvil of submission that first year of marriage. As a young bride I asked, "do I trust my husband enough to submit to him? Do I trust God enough to trust my husband?" Peace followed that first year of marriage as we learned to serve and submit to one another. 

Life never remains tranquil though. The rocks of disappointment, expectation, circumstances, and desire hide beneath the surface ready to shipwreck a marriage. Goodness knows over the last fourteen years there have been moments we've both stared into the abyss of despair and resentment. Amazingly, at the bottom of each of those pits stood a Priest and an altar. An invitation to die. Out of the ashes of our burnt wills has arisen the life of Jesus birthed in new love and commitment. My life for yours, until physical death parts us.

I'm not naive, even though our marriage is stronger and sweeter than ever, love will remain a journey strewn with altars. Here's to a life of death and a continual rebirth of love! Thank you Chris for dying to self and loving me daily.





This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:12-13

Today Chris and I celebrate our 14th anniversary of a united life in Jesus! I want to hear your story of love. What has God taught you as you have learned to love others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!