Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Women who Inspire: The Sisterhood

Sister -  (from dictionary.com)
adjective
12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.

I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old, some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family, a gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life.) 

This week's sister:   
I've been planning to write about my relationship with this sister, on this Tuesday for a while. Now I find I'm stumped. How to begin, I couldn't possibly contain all I want to say in one post. Perhaps, the best way to start is in the beginning, my beginning. On June 28, 35 years ago, a sisterhood was birthed that I was totally unaware of. Because before we were sisters we were mother and daughter. My mom was my first sister.
Our love has walked the jagged road of pain, taken flight in discovery, wrapped us warm in acceptance and always grown. In our most vulnerable and exposed moments we've been there together. In quiet contentment and ahah spiritual moments of transformation our ears have heard the other's sighs and animated joy. Of all my fabulous spiritual sisters, my mother reigns supreme! She is my first sister and my best.
One thing she's taught me, that stands out above the rest, is that life is better done together. The journey of healing, forgiveness, trust, joy, humility, righteousness, worship, etc. is more meaningful when traveled with companions. For me the idea of sisterhood had flesh put on it through our conversations, through our relationship. I've learned not to shy away from relationships that reveal messy wounds in my life or others. I no longer underestimate the power of hearts coming together at the feet of Jesus. Sisterhood; a gift of family our Father gave at the moment of our spiritual adoption, such grace. For me sisterhood began with my mother.


Your relationship with your mother may be a blessing or a source of sorrow. But God has provided a spiritual sisterhood to care for all of his daughters. Who in your life has spiritually mothered you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!