Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Friday, December 7, 2012

Near

Thoughts race, days swirl, noise abounds; ah, the Christmas season of a pastor's family. As we raced up to the season of holy days observed, just before we jumped in, I asked God to make me aware of his presence this Christmas. I wondered how he would do it. We weren't slowing down as we eased into the fast lane of the season. Decorating, Christmas caroling, gift buying, advent observing, writing, dessert nights, parade attending, movie watching, hot chocolate drinking; so much celebrating, so little time.

I whispered his name, began looking out for his finger prints, sought to prepare my heart with a fresh welcome but still it was the same story. I love "Immanuel", God with us, but it's nothing I haven't heard before. I was curious how he would bring his presence to the forefront.

This last week as I sat tucked into my parents cozy cabin in the Carolina woods I smiled to myself. All of a sudden every holiday tradition and desire this season had become irrelevant in light of my Mom's very serious illness. The whispered Immanuel had become an all out shout. His presence no longer a desire but an urgent necessity. "Oh, that's how he's going to do it," I thought to myself.

The C.S. Lewis quote, "Pain is God's megaphone to rouse a deaf world," has been rattling around my mind. There's nothing like being reminded of our vulnerability to bring into focus our great need of Jesus' sustaining presence. My hunger has deepened, the search intensified, I don't just want to know God's presence with me, I need it. Like air, or I won't survive.

Where do you find yourself as this season whirls about you? Are you hungry for God's presence dwelling with you, wrapped in flesh and beating inside of your very own heart? Are you desperate? Or are you distracted? God has the amazing ability to make his presence relevant to us, usually it's just a matter of time.


"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

How can I pray for you this season as you rely on Immanuel's presence to satisfy and sustain your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!