Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Monday, August 20, 2012

Jesus Bugs Me, the Cure for a Wicked Heart

"Yes Jesus bugs me, yes Jesus bugs me, yes Jesus bugs me the Bible tells me so," sings my four year old Maggie lately. I chuckle to myself over her misunderstanding or perhaps her interpretation of the children's classic. Her perspective sheds light on some pretty sketchy behavior and I think she speaks for others when she claims, "yes Jesus bugs me." Jesus bugs us in different ways. Some are bugged by his insistence that he in fact is in charge, I have a feeling Maggie falls into this category. Others are bugged by his altogether uniqueness, they're bewitched, can't get enough of him, he gets under their skin.

Last week I was reading Psalm 1 to the kids at breakfast.  

Oh, the joys of those who do not    follow the advice of the wicked,   or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. Psalm 1:1
I hadn't even made it passed verse one when Maggie jumps in, "I like being wicked." Taken back I wasn't quite sure what to say. Chris had come into the kitchen in time to hear his littlest pk (pastor's kid) make that charming statement. "What does wicked mean?" he asked Maggie. I'm sure he was hoping to clarify her misunderstanding of the word. No such luck. Without missing a beat she answered, "to be bad." Well, she has a good vocabulary.

We took a moment to help her understand that it was entirely her choice to be good or wicked. She just needed to be aware of the consequences, which we explained. Her brother was horrified that she would want to be wicked, which is a heart reflection, he wants to please Jesus and his parents. Jesus has gotten under his skin. Maggie is not encumbered by such desires. We told her that her family loves Jesus and wants to please him, while she lives with us she will be required to do what is right, the above mentioned consequences will ensure her compliance, but ultimately the issue comes down to her heart.
Her confession is honest. Most people should be so candid. I think her statement is a reflection of the human condition. Unless we respond to Jesus' love and come to the place of willingly submitting to his authority we're like Maggie, free to choose wickedness, and apt to, we just need to be aware of the consequences.

We've all had moments when we "like being wicked." But when Jesus bugs us, gets under our skin, in a good way we will begin to love being righteous more. Until that time we're free to be wicked we just need to be aware of the consequences.
For the Lord watches over the path of the godly,  but the path of the wicked leads to destruction. Psalm 1:6

I pray for my little girl, that Jesus would "bug her", he's the cure for a wicked heart. I pray he would get under her skin and mold her to his likeness, I pray that for myself as well. I trust that in time she will come to prefer the joys and blessings of a godly life. 

Let's make that our prayer today for those around us who are choosing wickedness, that the consequences will lead them to grace. And for our own hearts that Jesus would bug us, would get under our skin, molding us more to his likeness every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!