Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Friday, June 1, 2012

Five Minute Friday: See

It's time for Five Minute Friday, where we write for five minutes for the fun of it. Hop over the Gypsy Mama and join in. Today's topic; See.


Go:

Why is it that I don't have a problem looking hundreds of miles away into the faces of love starved children but I forget to turn and look at the face beside me?

I've memorized the scar under his chin where he fell as a child, the green of his eyes flecked with gold, how his hand is shorter than mine but stronger. I've known him for years, seen him until I could trace his face in my mind perfectly. And yet how often don't I see.

How regularly do I make sure I've loved his body but not hist heart; clean clothes, a meal, hug and I love you, but have I turned my eyes to see his real needs?

I forget that I'm the brave one not because I'm brave so much as because I'm headless. But he's not careless and I forget. Cautious, quiet, solemn and I forget what that means and that good and bad aren't the issue. 

It's a gift I hold in my power; to see him. Too often I'm careless and neglect to give the gift. But isn't that what we all want? To be seen and as a result be known.

Stop.

As wives it's easy to turn on auto pilot in our marriage and tend to the immediate needs of every day life. But I believe our husbands need more than a clean house and hot meal. They need us. Too often I'm forgetful of that. My gaze is turned to the pile of laundry, crying preschooler, ringing phone and the person dearest to me has to get in line and wait his turn for scraps. Truly seeing and, as a result, responding to our husband's hearts is a gift. Let's look for ways to see our husbands in a fresh light today, and let them know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!