Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Monday, September 26, 2011

Women who Inspire: The Sisterhood

Sister -  (from dictionary.com)
adjective
12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.

I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old, some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family, a gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life.)
 
This week's sister:
Today I'm glad to have my dear friend Julie Myers sharing how her life has been blessed by godly sisters. You can visit her blog here.
 
Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanders or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.” Titus 2:3-5


God has brought some incredible women into my life as I am sure He has yours too. But today I want to take a few moments and share where some of that all began. God had called my husband into full time ministry and with that came moving away to seminary. At the same time I had a toddler at home and a six week old baby. With being a young mommy I was privileged to stay at home. God moved us to a little community much like Mayberry, only more modern.

God moved us right next door to another young family and that mommy stayed home too with her babies. That mommy also loved Jesus and she wanted to share all of Him with others. So she invited me to a ladies bible study that met each Wednesday for prayer and bible teaching. With being the new girl around and feeling somewhat isolated I jumped on the opportunity for fellowship. Little did I know that God would use that little bible study and many of those Titus Women to help take me into a deeper fellowship with Him.

I had been a Christian already for ten years, but when I started to attend that bible study and grow in God’s Word I quickly realized my relationship with God was not what it could fully be. I desired more of His Word and more of Him. Those Titus Women were not super Christians, they were simply normal women like you and me who loved Jesus with all the heart, mind, and soul. Their desire was to teach and equip the younger women in holiness of heart and life. 
 

I had three Titus Women who invested in me. One of these ladies in particular would call me each week and check in on me just because she cared. I know she prayed for me daily and she always encouraged me with her phone calls and cards.

Another one let me come to her house each week for prayer time. During our time together we would pour our hearts out before God and He met us. She never judged me or looked down on me because of my weaknesses. Instead she loved me and challenged me to be who I was in Christ. The other one mentored me indirectly as she taught us through God’s Word. There was something special about her that I longed for, she had an intimacy with Jesus that was real. I wanted that too. So each week at our Titus Women’s meetings, I watched, listened, and learned. 
 
All three of these ladies were older women who were willing to train the younger women in the Lord. I will always be eternally grateful for my neighbor’s invite and then those who invested in me.

One of the major things that this bible study taught me was that God can use all ages of women in our lives. I also learned that He wants each of us to do the same. We all have to ask ourselves if we are willing to share all of Him with others. Since being a part of Titus Women God has given me a deeper desire to connect with women. He has given me a burden to share His love with women who are hurting and lost. Are you burdened to see women find Jesus? Are you willing to share with them like others shared with me?

Titus Women, a ministry of the Francis Asbury Society, are Christian women in fellowship one with another living in sacred fellowship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and are committed to proclaiming the message of a holy heart — the incredible joy of knowing Jesus Christ personally and loving Him with ALL our heart, mind, soul, and strength through the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. For more information, visit them at http://www.tituswomensministry.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!