Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Women who Inspire: The Sisterhood

Sister -  (from dictionary.com)
adjective


12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.

I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old,
some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family, a gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life.)

This week's sister:
Words can mark us for good or bad. Years ago I had a professor in college use her words to inspire me. Dr. Matthews was a professor of psychology. She was tall and blonde, looking back I realize she was young, though at the time I didn't think so. I respected her, what she said mattered.

One day I was interviewing her for an article in the school newspaper. I don't even remember what the article was about now. As we were finishing up the interview and had moved on to personal conversation she said something I will never forget. She said essentially, "I teach hundreds of students and every so often one stands out among them as special. You stand out to me and I expect you to do great things." Wow! I was so moved and encouraged by her words. More than anything else I wanted to live up to them.

I don't know if she said that to all of her students, I wanted to believe she didn't. I also don't really know what she saw in me at the time. What matters is over the years those words have come back to me. I remember her powerful words of confidence and belief, focused on me. I have measured myself by them and question if I have lived up to them. Those words have pushed me to take risk, to try harder, to raise the bar. I am better because her words have nudged me to be better.

How do you use your words? Do you speak words of favor, belief, hope, life, courage, truth into other people's lives? Or do your words weigh down with criticism or negative feelings? How can you use your words today to lift another's heart?

{If you would like more tips on how to influence the lives of young women download a free copy of my ebook Sister to Sister; A Mentor's Handbook today!}

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!