Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Women who Inspire: The Sisterhood

Sister -  (from dictionary.com)
adjective
12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.

I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old, some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family, a gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life.)
This week's sister:
Some people have an aura of holiness around them, at least it appears that way to me. I've met very few people that's true of, but Sarah Wright was one of them. She was very old when I met her. Stooped and small with white fluffy hair, she gave the impression of a delicate blossom. I met Ms. Wright when I was just beginning my journey into the teen years. She made an impression on me that shaped my view of a life of service.

Ms. Wright never married. Instead as a young woman she had moved to Mississippi to teach Bible, in public schools. It was at a time in the deep Bible-belt south that you could get away with that kind of thing. When she was done teaching she had stayed. Though no longer a teacher, she was still a worker; encouraging, and praying. My mom has always said that Miss Wright, "went around the world without ever leaving her chair." Sitting in her tiny apartment she prayed all day, for children she had taught in school, for missionaries, for me. Ms. Wright explained that she would pray for about twenty minutes, take a little break, and then pray some more. With so much time lingering in the presence of God the aroma of heaven clung to her.

The year I was fourteen I went on a missions trip to Europe. I asked Ms. Wright to pray for me while I was away, she delightedly agreed. Always asking with pointed interest how my preparations for the trip were going when she saw me. I know while I was away she prayed for me, regularly, probably daily. That mission trip changed my life, as is often the case with mission trips. I credit Ms. Wright with a large portion of the change though, because her prayers helped till the soil of my heart, making it soft and ready for truth.

When our family left Mississippi Ms. Wright was still sitting in her chair praying around the world. She has since left to talk to Jesus face to face. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt. 5:3) I suspect one day we will see the power of prayers going out from an armchair to touch the world.


Have you been impacted by someone whose faith seemed larger than life? How did knowing them change you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!