Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Sunday, February 19, 2012

All for Love

My heart wanders the halls of an institution I've never been to. Images of ragged children, too small, and vacant eyed impose themselves over the ordinariness of my day. Brokenness tangible, in flesh and bone. 

The situation for Serbia's orphans is slowly beginning to improve, in the capital city especially. Once closed, the door of adoption for these little ones is opening wider, laws are changing. And yet in rural areas small children are still neglected. Disabled children are denied medical care, deemed unworthy. 

When I look into the eyes of my crying toddler, arms reached to her source of comfort immediately I think of tiny ones with no mommy to cry out too. Left alone in cribs, their hearts sinking in on themselves. As I shush my curly haired beauty my heart whispers to hidden babies, "hold on, I'm coming."

Suffering compels. It's what gets the tennis shoes on and the plane ticket bought, it turns divinity into human DNA, a midnight visit to a manger, finishes the work on a rugged cross. Suffering begs for a response, and we've been set the example. 2 Samuel 22:7,10-11, “In my distress I called to the LORD; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice;  my cry came to his ears... He parted the heavens and came down; dark clouds were under his feet. He mounted the cherubim and flew; he soared on the wings of the wind." Love comes when we call.

My husband says I'm obsessed. He may be right, but I'm not sure I'm ready to apologize for it yet. Without a bit of obsession I would turn back. The hurdles of getting from here to Serbia take my breath away. But, we're on a rescue mission, all of us. And rescue missions are costly, demanding time, money, comfort, etc. In God's case, his rescue mission, his obsession ended in the loss of his Beloved, all for his little ones. So, maybe I'm obsessed or maybe I'm possessed. The heart of the gospel is rescue, my life for yours, love poured out, and that love indwells me, compelling me to imitate.

My dream is to form a team to go to Serbia to touch and care for orphans in any way we can. There is so much to be done. One thing I'm learning about rescue missions; to be accomplished they take unity. Even God's rescue is a partnership, it's the Father's mercy that compels, the Son's blood that covers, the Spirit's power that accomplishes. The same is true for us, missions are accomplished when we unite in purpose and devotion.

Will you join in praying? Pray that doors will be opened to go, people will be moved to join in, and resources will be provided. But mostly pray that we will have hearts like Jesus and that little lives, so broken, would respond to love poured out. Let's pray that the church of Jesus everywhere will reach out in courageous love.

How can I pray for you? Who are you burdened to love, where are your feet taking you in the name of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!