Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Women who Inspire: The Sisterhood

Sister -  (from dictionary.com)
adjective
12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.

I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old, some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family, a gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life.)
 

This week's sister:
I've put of writing about my sister for weeks. How do you write one meaningful, concise post about someone who is your spiritual as well as biological sister. The memories, experiences, and hard conversations are, mostly, too personal to splash across the web. I'm all for transparency but the internet has limits to the laying bare of the inner sanctuary of a family, at least for me.  

Yet I could in no way leave Stephanie out of the list of sisters who have touched my life. Four years my junior she has been in every way, from the beginning, my opposite. No doubt that difference has lead to missed opportunities for shared moments, and misunderstanding. God is wise, he gives gifts, and I've come to see that difference as one of them.
Me and Stephanie with our children almost three years ago.
My mom has always said that God puts families together just the way he wants them. Years later I believe that's true. The hard rub between sisters has made us softer, bent our heads lower and produced grace. I would never have the understanding or compassion I'm growing to embrace without the relationship I've had with Steph. 

She's stretched me to see a point of view I wouldn't otherwise embrace or consider. For someone as dogmatic as I've tended to be, that is truly a gift. Seeing yourself reflected in your sisters eyes is like a brisk salt rub, stinging and cleaning out wounds, healing, good for the soul.  

It's been a steep climb, a leaning into the wind, from childhood until now. But God has so graciously united. Friendship has blossomed through commonality and difference. I'm grateful. 

One of my greatest joys now is seeing our two girls play together. Six months apart they are opposites in every way! My prayer is for them to rub each other soft, love each other long, and be better because of their relationship when all is said and done. 
Maggie and Willow, sweet cousins
I love sharing motherhood, funny stories, and Jesus with my sister. What a gift!

How about you, how has God used your biological sister(s) to mold you? If you don't have any how has he provided spiritual sisters? If your relationship with your biological sister(s) is wounded I pray that God's healing grace binds up those wounds and restores.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!