Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Friday, September 16, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Joy

I find myself running up to the edge of obsession over home and eternity. Death is all around. Portals into the unseen punctuate the landscape of this tattered world. I crane my neck to peer in, hungry to glimpse the promised satisfaction I long for. Today Lisa-Jo is honoring a blogging sister on her way home to Jesus. Her Five Minute Friday girls are writing today on Joy.

Go.

Joy is in the meeting. The never enough of me, meeting the more than enough of Him. I stand amidst the careless words that slip from my tongue, the dirty dishes, the mess of anger, the want of home, the lack of kindness, the longing for beauty, the bone ache of world weary.

I am so not enough. This world is so not enough.

I lift my eyes from the mess I stand in. Eyes up. In comes joy. I catch the look of His unsullied delight. And the not enough ache melts.

"Who me," I feel my heart say. Looking over shoulder, there must be another. Can you imagine a grin that would break your heart?

A glimpse of that one smile, it's what I long for, it haunts me. I've never seen it with my eyes, oh but I've felt it with my heart.

The smile that broke out over all creation. Joyful voice ringing victorious delight, "It is good!" That same smile washes over me.

Filtering through the cracks of my messy need. Filling up my not enough. For just a moment I believe and sigh out the hurt and breath in His joy. And then the dance begins again.

Stop
You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy. Psalm 63:5

I hope your day is filled with joy you don't deserve, that rushes in where you need it most and expect it least, that drowns out the sorrow of your weakness and lifts your eyes to Jesus' sweet face!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!