Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Women who Inspire: The Sisterhood (late)

Sister -  (from dictionary.com)
adjective

12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.

I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old, some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family, a gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life.)

This week's sister: 
With the debut of my ebook and traveling all day yesterday I didn't have time to get my regular Tuesday post up. Initially I was just going to let it pass and pick back up next week. And then I saw her. My heart was moved, throat constricted, eyes puddled. I had to name her beauty, I wish I had a picture to show you. Instead I'll use my words.


Our family was sitting at a table in the mall food court happily munching Chick-fil-a, our Tuesday night ritual. When she walked up, or should I say stumbled, small hand clasped by her daddy's larger one. She must have been about eight or nine. Two tight plastic braces encased her legs up to the knee and disappeared into blue sneakers. They sat at an adjacent table, backs to us. Her honey colored braids perched high on her head, one with a pink band the other green. A pair of little glasses were set on her small nose, held in place by a strap. 


She looked at him sideways for help and conversation, sometimes with a sweet smile. A smile that made my heart ache. My completely perfect daughter, with ringlet hair, strong legs, brilliant blue eyes, saw her. Her little hand pointed, "Look at that friend mommy, she's so pretty!" I could contain it no longer, the tears fell, out of compassion for one girl and pride in another. One beautiful and the other recognizing it!


They finished their meal and her daddy pulled her up with his strong hand and helped her walk. I watched them leave, her golden braids swinging with her lopsided lope. My heart breathed a prayer. "Father, sing a song of beauty over her life. When other's taunt or jeer, protect her fragile heart and the beauty hidden inside by your love." Today I saw beauty in her eyes and I'm better because of it. But what delights me most is so did my daughter.


Have you seen beauty in unexpected people lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!