Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Favorites: Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard, reviewed

This week I'm delighted to share with you a book that is truly my all time favorite. It comes in right under the Bible on my list of best books for beauty, inspiration and impact. In some ways it's hard to share why a book that is so personal is special to me. The time I've spent in it's pages have been utterly life altering, holy, I've met Jesus there.

The author, Hannah Hurnard, was a humble young woman with deep fears and a speech impediment. I believe it was her humility and neediness that allowed her to write such a vulnerable account of intimacy with her Savior. The book is written as an allegory of the Christian life. The main character, Much-Afraid, lives up to her name, but she's on a journey of transformation, as are all who know Jesus. Peppered with colorful characters we've all met in our daily lives; the Shepherd, Sorrow, Suffering, Pride, Mrs. Valiant, Self-pity, Bitterness, to name a few. Following Much-Afraid's own journey to the "High Places of Love" is an invitation to participate in the journey as well. One filled with altars of sacrifice, leaps of faith, lessons of trust, and through it all a love story unfolds. The love of a Shepherd who has paid the ultimate price to lead his beloved ones into his Father's kingdom of Love.

I almost feel as if I'm giving away a great secret, so personal is this encounter, it's so much more than a book. The Shepherd says it best, "I must tell you a great truth, Much-Afraid, which only the few understand. All the fairest beauties in the human soul, its greatest victories, and its most splendid achievements are always those which no one else knows anything about, or can only dimly guess at. Every inner response of the human heart to Love and every conquest over self-love is a new flower on the tree of Love. Many a quiet, ordinary, and hidden life, unknown to the world, is a veritable garden in which Love's flowers and fruits have come to such perfection that it is a place of delight where the King of Love himself walks and rejoices with his friends."

So let me invite you to go on a journey with Much-Afraid as your guide, to the High Places of Love. I don't think you'll regret it. I'd love to know, what book has touched your heart and shown you the love of Jesus?

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great book to read. I love to read book reviews before buying a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered this book a couple of weeks ago because it has been on my ever growing "to read" list. I can't wait to read it!

    I am currently reading "The Uncommon Woman" and so enjoying it. This will definitely be one that I pass onto other women.

    Thanks again for sharing a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get a chance to read it some time Terri.

    Yay Christy, I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying The Uncommon Woman and soon Hinds Feet, those are two great books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i will have to read this book now...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beck:

    Hinds Feet on High Places was one of my mother's favorite books. For years, she encouraged me to read it, but I never did until after her death. I agree, it is a very good book.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. This book is sitting on my lap right now. I was going to put Hannah Hurnard on your woman of inspiration but put Mother Teresa instead.
    I re-read this book last summer and it was amazing all over again. I rejoiced at "the Fearings" losing their hold of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so neat Cathy, I not only love the book I also love the author's story! Every time I read Hind's Feet there's a new victory, it takes on new meaning!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing you sweet comments!