Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Women who Inspire: The Sisterhood

Sister (from dictionary.com)
adjective

12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.

I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old,
some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family, a gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life.)
This week's sister:
Once upon a time there was a girl, living in the deep south, walking barefoot in the summer. She lived with her parents, brother and sister in an old farmhouse the color of fresh churned butter. The girl loved people and animals, especially her calico cat, but was awkward and at times graceless. Her mother said she was like a "bull in a china shop" and she was. Home-schooled, her friendships were limited. Life was good but at times lonely.


God gives good gifts and just as he had given a kitty to comfort, he gave a friend to love. Erin was a confident and kind girl, privileged and generous. A southern girl, with roots as deep as a live oak, in compassion she spread the branches of her friendship to include. I was the awkward girl and my heart will never forget Erin's tenderness to me. Her family had a beautiful barn with show horses, a family pony, and a big red horse that was a child's pet. Happy hours were spent in that barn, confidence instilled, acceptance poured out. The horses did as much good as the friend.


Erin's family embraced me, an adolescent girl with few social graces, as part of their clan. I joined them for family dinners and family vacation. Their graciousness and generosity have marked my life. I can't think about Erin or her family without deep emotion. I've long since moved, many times, but oh how I wish I could thank them. I wish I could tell Erin the impact her sister love has had, instead I pray God's richest blessing overshadows her life.


Did you have a childhood friend that encouraged, offered you love? How did that shape your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!