Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Friday, July 8, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Grateful

I'm linking up with the Gypsy Mama for Five Minute Fridays. We write for five minutes, unedited, on a prompt. Today's prompt: Grateful.

Go:

Heart stretching wide, I pray my capacity will increase, ever increase. Filling with blessings, goodness, mercy. Face turned up to the flow, mouth parted open in happy receiving of all of You. Salvation's mercy flowing down, redeemed favor filling up, heavenly compassion splashing. The joy reaches top, brims over, flowing out of me.

I see her standing on the corner. Her eyes splashing something different, shame, need want. Cardboard sign in her hand defining for all to see. I need. "God bless you for any help you can give." I stop. Brimming eyes of joy and sorrow meet, lock. A touch, a word. Heads bow in prayer, faithful Giver called upon. Food purchased and given. And I spill, I am blessed. Have I blessed her. We brim together, grateful. His filling goodness, spilling from wide open heart, runs down and pools around our feet. I turn having filled with goodness, having splashed grateful on another.
Stop

When you see a person reduced to begging on the street corner what do you see? How do you respond? It never ceases to amaze me that the few times I've stopped with the intention of meeting someone else's need I have been blessed. I've found a person in that moment of vulnerability is not always what we would think or imagine. I've also found that it's best to stop, get out of the car, ask questions, listen, touch, pray. An amazing thing happens between two souls. They are hungry for compassion and their need pours out the Jesus in me. The experience no matter how brief always marks me. I often write about sisters here on my blog. God is reminding me that the woman on the street corner is a sister as well as the sister sitting in the pew or sharing my family name.

Linking messes up the settings of my blog you can visit Five Minute Friday's here: http://thegypsymama.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!