Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Beauty through my eyes: The Bride, Johan Thorn Prikker

Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting. 
"Ralph Waldo Emerson"

I believe making time for beauty makes us better; whether it's observing the beauty of creation, being moved by great music, seeing the world through poetry or being transported by a painting. There is joy to be found in the organic rhythm of beauty all around us. The more we open ourselves to appreciating beauty the more we will see it. So, let me share with you what I find beautiful, I hope it will touch and enrich your heart.

Since moving to Ohio three months ago I've indulged in pursuing creativity and beauty with new fervor. I've always loved art and beauty. My mother incorporated art and music appreciation, as well as literature and poetry, in my education. But in this new season my focus on creating and appreciating art, in a variety of forms, has been more concentrated than ever.

My favorite place in Toledo is the Toledo Museum of Art (TMA), they have a wonderful collection of art as well as a glass pavilion. Best of all, it's free. I love exposing my children to art and have taken Maggie with me on a couple of visits.

The work of beauty I would like to share is a painting by Johan Thorn Prikker called The Bride. It isn't on display at the TMA but it is one of my all time favorite artworks. I saw The Bride in person at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta several years ago. I was impacted by it's soft beauty, complex message and depth of feeling. I've never forgotten seeing it. 
The Bride by Johan Thorn Prikker
Where do you go for a dose of beauty? Do you have a favorite work of art that communicates truth to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!