Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Women who Inspire: The Sisterhood

Sister -  (from dictionary.com)
adjective
12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.

I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old, some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family, a gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life.) 


This week's sister:
I met this week's sister four years ago in Cody Wyoming at the church where my husband then served as worship pastor. It was my privilege to know Donna through serving together on the worship team, as well as in bible study and Sunday school. 

Just like everyone else Donna has had bumps and bruises along life's journey. It's her response that makes her unusual. The best way to describe Donna is worshiper. Worship isn't something she does or an activity she engages in once a week. Worship is how she lives. She is a worshiper at heart. The trials of her life are met with childlike trust, which I believe is a pure worship. Prayer flows like music from a sincere heart. The good gifts of life are met with delight and are turned into praise. 


Worship hasn't always been Donna's first response in every circumstance. And she would probably blush at being called a great worshiper, familiar as she is with her own weaknesses. Yet, through the years, she's learned to lean into Jesus and that devotion has born fruit in the form of a worshiping heart. To be quite honest at time's I've been dazzled. Just like the children of Israel were dazzled and even afraid of Mose's radiant face when he had been in the presence of God, sometimes I felt I was seeing the same thing; the glory of a heart that has been with Jesus. 


Interestingly I'm not sure everyone else noticed the radiance. Maybe they weren't looking or maybe they were looking to someone more "important" to display that kind of beauty. It would be easy to do. Donna is a relatively ordinary person, not necessarily the package one would expect to contain the heart of a great worshiper. But appearances can be deceiving. My husband and I agree that in our experience, of all the people we've served with on worship teams and in church ministry, no one has matched Donna in an understanding and lifestyle of pure worship. We are better because of her. 


I anticipate the moment I will stand in heaven's throng and my breath will be taken away by the beauty of the Lamb, it can bring tears to my eyes just thinking about it! In a way when I've stood side by side with other worshipers, our eyes fixed on the Prize, I feel I've had a glimpse of what's to come. Donna's life of worship inspires me to live bowing, preparing for that moment. I'm thankful for such an amazing sister in my life.


Who have you learned most about worship from?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!