Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Women who Inspire: The Sisterhood

Sister -  (from dictionary.com)
adjective

12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.

I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old, some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family, a gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life.) 

This week's sister:
I hope you will allow me to break from the norm today. This week's sister is smaller than usual but has had an enormous influence on me and I expect will for years to come. Let me introduce to you my three year old daughter Maggie. She is unique in my list of sisters yet fits comfortably there. I learn from her, am inspired by her, I'm pushed to love Jesus more because of her. 

I've known Maggie for 3 years now, ever since her birth. Actually a little longer because I knew her before she was born, she was changing me even then. Maggie Elizabeth made her entrance two weeks early, on a very busy and inconvenient weekend; she likes to do things her way. She immediately brought a sweetness to our lives we hadn't expected but delight in.

Maggie hops, a lot; has big blue, expressive eyes, they're dangerous; she makes us smile without even trying, her baby lisp endearing. Maggie doesn't walk through a room she shines like a ray of sun. Her constant question is, "I help?" She's a little sassy (okay, a lot), creative, loving and very girly (every outfit must be accessorized with just the right hair bow!). Her presence in our lives is joy.
I've learned about accountability, living life with wonder and embracing community from her. But the most startling revelation has come as an understanding of my heavenly Father's heartfelt delight in knowing me. When you look at the facts Maggie barely has a handle on the English language, she needs help with the most basic things, must be constantly supervised, in no way is she my equal, and is prone to pouting. Why would I want to be with someone like that? Because my heart delights in her. In the same way we are unable to counsel God, we're barely able to speak his language, place demands on his long suffering, are apt to pitch fits, in no way are we his equal. But he delights in us, our presence brings him joy!
How deep the Father's love for us, 
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
(lyrics from my favorite hymn How Deep the Father's Love for Us)
Maggie is teaching me the freedom of being childlike. She is never worried I won't love her, she embraces life and mistakes in the safety of her parents love. As much as I care for my little one I am nothing like God, his love is perfect. Our human affection is a gift from the Great Parent flowing right from his heart, a picture of who he is. When you feel that mama bear protection raise it's head, swelling pride in your little one, aching desire to be with them during a separation know the Father's heart for you. Maggie has shown me that I will always have the freedom I need to be a child with my Father, he understands my nature and is unsurprised by my need. I can't explain that kind of love, I'm astounded, it ties my heart to his in gratitude!

What spiritual truths have you learned from your children?

2 comments:

  1. She is just so adorable. Abby is teaching me patience all over again. I prayed for patience once upon a time (will never do that again) and God knocked me flat on my tail. Through out the 4 years I was bed bound in a back brace, after "failed" back surgery, I learned patience. Until little Abby came along, I think I was beginning to forget how to have patience again. But not any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is crucial with little ones. God is good at giving exactly what we need to teach us that lesson!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing you sweet comments!