Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Faithfulness displayed

So Moses chiseled out two stone tablets like the first ones and went up Mount Sinai early in the morning, as the LORD had commanded him; and he carried the two stone tablets in his hands. "Then the LORD came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the LORD. And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." Exodus 34:4-6.
I love that Moses went to meet God, he went early, he went in obedience and he was ready to take notes 'cause this was going to be important! When he climbed the mountain did he expect God to come down and stand there with him? Did he expect him to put his glory on display ("passed in front of Moses")? Did he expect God to not only tell him his name but define his nature? Do we?
Today I'm reveling in God's faithfulness. He is always true to his nature and he has revealed his nature to us. I'm not by nature faithful, but God is. There are messy, broken, hurting people all around me and I am one of them. It would be easy for me to worry about people I care about, friends, my children, my husband but I don't. Because he is "the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness" I trust him to always act according to his nature in the lives of those he loves. I get goose bumps reading the verses above; Holy God coming down to meet with lowly man, putting his glory on display, wow! Do I expect him to call out his name to me? I want to at least set the right conditions, making myself available in obedience and expectation. I believe I am witnessing him display his nature and character in the lives around me, in the body of Christ. I want a front row seat!
"Moses bowed to the ground at once and worshiped. "O Lord, if I have found favor in your eyes," he said, "then let the Lord go with us. Although this is a stiff-necked people, forgive our wickedness and our sin, and take us as your inheritance."Exodus 34:8-9

2 comments:

  1. I love this. You need to see the movie "Faith like Potatoes". You'll love it.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you can get it at Walmart for $7.00. It's a true story. It also has a 54 min. documentary on the real man behind the story. It is equally, if not more, powerful.

    D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing you sweet comments!