Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Psalm 119

I've been enjoying Psalm 119 lately. It's long and full of honest thoughts and pleadings. I feel when I read it as if I'm eavesdropping on a conversation the psalmist is having with God. An ongoing, all day or maybe even lifelong conversation. I love it because it reflects some of my own feelings and struggles as well as what I want my heart attitude to be. One of my favorite sections of this psalm is between 71-77 "The suffering you sent was good for me, for it taught me to pay attention to your principles. Your law is more valuable to me than millions in gold and silver! You made me; you created me. Now give me the sense to follow your commands. May all who fear you find in me a cause for joy, for I have put my hope in your word. I know, O Lord that your decisions are fair; you disciplined me because I needed it. Now let your unfailing love comfort me, just as you promised me, your servant. Surround me with your tender mercies so I may live, for your law is my delight."

Can you honestly say today that what you delight in is God's law, his word? It isn't my natural tendency but the more time I spend in his word the more I find my delight there. Don't you hear in his writing such a humble heart. He is fully aware of his reality. He is a small (though loved) man and God is supreme. Without God's discipline, provision, mercies and commands he would self destruct, and so would I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!