Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Women Who Inspire ~ The Sisterhood

Sister - (from dictionary.com)
adjective 
12. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships.
13. having a close relationship with another because of shared interests, problems, or the like.


I have been undeniably blessed by precious women in my life. Some close family, some that have lived before my time, some have rubbed me hard smoothing away jagged edges, some young, some old, some who know my heart deeply and still love me, some I've never met. But all sharing a common relation, fellowship birthed from the blood of Jesus. Sweet family. A gift. These women have so energized my Christian walk I just had to introduce some of them to you. (I hope you will post a comment and tell me about the women who have blessed your life as well.)

This week's sister:

It has been over a year since I've written in this series about sisters. I thought it was time to bring it out and dust it off. 

Today's sister is Carol Matthews. Dr. Matthews was my psychology professor in college. Looking back over fifteen years I imagine at the time she wasn't older than I am now. With long golden hair, trim figure, and pleasant smile she stood out from the other professors at school, mostly older men in suits. I admired Dr. Matthews. She was soft spoken, clever, and funny. 

There's an encounter with Dr. Matthews that will always stand out to me as one of the most powerful conversations of my young life at the time. It taught me the weight of words and of other people's expectations. I wrote down her words in my journal, I wish I knew where it was to reference, but I remember the basics of the conversation.  

It was during an interviewing for a school newspaper article, I don't even remember the story now. I felt that I had let her down academically on a recent test and my response had not been gracious. So I began our conversation with an apology. She stopped me and made it clear that there wasn't a problem between us. In fact she went on to say, "I expect you to go on in life and do great things. I have taught hundreds of students every year. I can't remember them all and only a handful ever standout. You're one of them. I expect to hear you have done great things."

I was flabbergasted, and so blessed. I have never forgotten the gift of her statement. When I quit school and felt like a failure, when I worked part time at an oil refinery in Pennsylvania, when I lived in the basement of friends with just enough to make ends meet, I remembered those words. I wanted to live up to them, to make them a prophecy that became a reality.

As I've matured I've realized that the definition of great things can change. What I thought was a great thing at 19 and what I think of as a great thing now are very different. I don't know what Carol Matthews had in mind when she spoke such a benediction of encouragement over me. But I did learn that when we speak belief, hope, and high expectation over someone they will yearn to live up to it. 

I wish I could thank Dr. Matthews all these years later for encouraging an awkward, inexperienced girl. I doubt she would remember me now. But I imagine an appropriate thanks would be to seek out opportunities to do the same with my words for others. 

Has there been someone in your life who spoke words of hope or blessing, encouragement or belief over you that have made a difference to your heart? I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. I turn 15 on Sunday, and the 3 women who have made a big impact on me and have encouraged me are:
    Stephanie, my teacher. I'm homeschooled, but this amazing woman volunteered to teach 10 kids in our little schoolroom. She prays over us, encourages us, teaches us, and sets an incredible example for us.
    Lorraine, my mom. She is incredible! With 14 kids to keep up with, she is my biggest hero. She blesses me in more ways than I can count.
    Savanna, my 17 year old faithful friend. We've only known each other for a year and a half, but our hearts are woven together. We write letters back and forth and every time we see each other at church we exchange them. She has encouraged me in the tiring walk through my teens. I love her so much!

    I thank my beloved brother, Jesus, my loving Papa God, and my faithful Councelor, Holy Spirit, for these sweet women!

    Mattie Patterson
    Www.allarepreciousinhissight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing you sweet comments!