Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Friday, April 20, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Together

I'm joining up again with The Gypsy Mama's wonderful community. Today's prompt excites me, we're talking about; Together. 

Go

All galaxies known and unknown fit in the palm of his hand, his word holds life together, by a word he brought into being all things. He is pure, good, holy, the only one worthy of praise. Higher than our thoughts can think, more beautiful than we can look upon and live, infinite in existence and power, stretching out into eternity in every direction. He knows no limits of time, or limits of any kind at all.

We, on the other hand, have never recovered from our tragic beginnings. Corrupted at the dawn of time, mankind bears a scarlet stain across it's heart. Limited by time we are chained to the laws of earth and their consequences. A speck in the cosmos like a billion grains of sand, our lives are over before they've begun.

How could a being like me and a being like God have any common ground? Could a flee and a blue whale be friends? How much more odd that infinity should embrace limitation. How much odder still that he should invite me into his exclusive circle of love, Father, Son and Spirit ever knowing and enjoying one another. How could my heart be one heart with his, united and sharing glory? The very idea arises a protest to my lips. But this is what I want and what I was made for. So humbly I accept a gift I could never deserve and can't comprehend. Joining together, my small heart swallowed up by his great one in an eternal embrace.

Stop

Well, I must confess I took longer than five minutes today as I pondered this weighty subject. So how can such a thing be possible, the union of holy God and broken man? John 1:14 gives us the answer "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." God the Son wrapped all of his glorious, holy self into skin and bone, taking the nature of God and the nature of man and uniting them together in himself. John 1 makes John 17 possible. John 17:21b-22 "May they (believers) also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one." (Taken from Jesus prayer to his Father.)


What are you doing with your salvation? Are you content merely to be saved? Are you a friend with benefits kind of follower, wanting the blessing without the commitment and work that come with sanctification (being made holy)? It's a fearsome thing to allow our hearts to get close enough to holiness to have our impurities washed away, to allow our very nature to be consumed and refined by the nature of God, to allow a union to take place. But if we settle for anything else we are just licking up crumbs off the floor when we could be sitting down to a feast. I'm praying that God will teach me what it means to be one with him as Jesus is one with the Father. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!