Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Friday, May 13, 2011

Creativity

Recently my son, Max, was reading aloud from his new Bible in the book of Genesis. He read the familiar words from Genesis 1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And God saw that the light was good." Further on he read, "So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." My ears perked up, heart resonating and I begin to think.

For the last several days my three year old daughter, Maggie, has been almost obsessively creating. Painting, coloring, play-doh she can't get enough. Interestingly I've been overflowing with creativity myself. Every moment a picture to be captured, I go everywhere with my camera. Words tumble out of me and I write constantly. My book is slowly taking shape. I even feel like cooking something tasty and beautiful tonight (this is a big deal because in general I hate to cook).

I pondered what Max had read and I felt my eyes opening. Nature is awash with color all around me drenching my senses; goldfinches, lilac blooms, emerald grass. Bird songs fill the air, laughter, music it all surrounds me and testifies of a God that's not boring. But even more remarkable, he invites us to join him. He's not done creating, we're a part of the work. Flowing from God's heart of grace is the invitation to embrace our likeness to him. We create because God does, what a privilege to express gratitude and joy through creativity. It is good when we live like the image bearers we are, joyful, exuberant, colorful, whimsical; all flowing from hearts of gratitude.

What creative outlet excites you? How do you join in the celebration of creation, I'd love to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!