Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Love Letter to My Husband

Our expressions say it all!
When I think about the vulnerability of this life and the human heart, I'm amazed by the longevity of 'us'. You have loved me with tenacity. Like oil and vinegar our personalities made pretty patterns but didn't mix in those early days. Could there be more opposite people? But life has a way of shaking things up. A tangy blend has emerged and I find we're better than before, together, you and me forming we.

Amazingly, I've learned you are right about silence. It is a good thing, not a foe to be conquered or an unknown to be feared. Rather a gift to be savored and even shared, at least for a moment. You've been right about a good many things, and I find after almost two decades of knowing you that I'm not so jagged and rough. The volatile, quick tempered, reactionary I was has simmered in your love, and has grown into, I hope, a gentle boldness infused with purpose. I still have my moments, of course, and you see every one of them, but I hope the fire of my personality warms more than it burns.

You've changed too, though I won't go into detail in such a public place. I'm impressed more by your qualities that haven't changed, but deepened and strengthened. Faithfulness that is willing to go the extra mile. A willingness to honor me, unthreatened, to pursue Jesus in ways unique to myself. Loyalty that doesn't make you a pushover, rather gracious and trustworthy. I'm amazed that your leadership style has become more mellow and tenacious, but I believe more effective. Your patience is amazing, trusting God to complete the good work he's started in others, giving the benefit of the doubt.

I treasure the moments of laughter and companionship, shared work and even the arguments that have shaped our life together. You are one of the ways I know God gives good gifts. Thank you for being my first love, my true love.

Yours always,
Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!