Made for another world

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C. S. Lewis

Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Mother's Day Prayer

A journey into the heart of motherhood is not what I had anticipated years ago. But it's the journey of every woman whether she expects it or not. We women all need nurture and to be nurturers in some way. Society, families, and individuals are better when we confidently embrace our ability to care instead of shy away from a potentially vulnerable role.

I am reminded once again that I have been unspeakably blessed by the mothers who have poured into my life and the lives of those I love. It's a beautiful thing to be caught up in the generational dance of motherhood and find yourself linked arm in arm with past, present, future. To the mothers in my life, biological and emotional, I thank you. 

As I give thanks to you, and to the One who has so richly favored my life, I cannot forget that with high privilege comes high expectation. As I take from you, and raise the next mother in the generational chain, I know that my love has the capacity to stretch farther than my household's walls in an attempt to honor a gift of love I did not deserve. 

My Mother's Day prayer is one of thanksgiving and of longing. As one blessed I seek to bless and pray tonight that God would not forget the motherless and fatherless in our midst.

"Sing to God, sing in praise of his name, extol him who rides on the clouds; rejoice before him—his name is the Lord. A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land." Psalm 68:4-6

As usual my heart turns to the weak and vulnerable locked away from sight in Serbia. I long to gather skinny bodies in my arms and smooth tired brows. I ask and trust that God will remember to be a father, a defender, a provider to these helpless ones. Whether a lonely person within our reach or an orphan far away let's use our influence as nurturers to ease the pain of a human heart. 

To all of you who love faithfully Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing you sweet comments!